A few weeks ago, I wrote a post called 5 Ridiculous Things Women Expect of Men. While this post was largely written in jest, a commenter by the name of Mara explained that in her opinion the first three items on the list showed a “lack of manliness.” To support her claim, she provided a link to The 13 Marks of Manhood by Dr. Albert Mohler. Using the bible for reference, Dr. Mohler cites 13 marks of manhood. I decided to share the list with the SBM Family today for discussion.
1. Spiritual maturity sufficient to lead a wife and children.
2. Personal maturity sufficient to be a responsible husband and father.
3. Economic maturity sufficient to hold an adult job and handle money.
4. Physical maturity sufficient to work and protect a family.
5. Sexual maturity sufficient to marry and fulfill God’s purposes.
6. Moral maturity sufficient to lead as example of righteousness.
7. Ethical maturity sufficient to make responsible decisions.
8. Worldview maturity sufficient to understand what is really important.
9. Relational maturity sufficient to understand and respect others.
10. Social maturity sufficient to make a contribution to society.
11. Verbal maturity sufficient to communicate and articulate as a man.
12. Character maturity sufficient to demonstrate courage under fire.
13. Biblical maturity sufficient to lead at some level in the church.
What are your thoughts on these 13 marks of manhood? What qualities would you remove from the list, if any? What qualities would you add? You can read the full justification behind each of Dr. Albert Mohler’s marks of manhood by clicking here.