I’m not a big fan of New Year’s posts because I truly don’t believe there’s a difference between the 31st and the 1st of any month. Therefore if you didn’t get a Happy New Year from me on twitter or facebook or any other social media medium, charge it to the game. However, if someone asked me to share thoughts about how I felt about the new year and what it means for your love life, I have a few thoughts. This won’t be a deep post or anything profound, but it should resonate.
Here’s the ten things I want you all to remember about your love life in the two thousand and fourteen:
- You’re going to be the bad guy – There’s comes a point in everyone’s life when you realize that in order to be happy you have to realize that you’re going to make some people unhappy. Don’t embrace it but accept it.
- You don’t have to do shit – People love to make you think that you have to do something; if it makes you unhappy then it’s something you need to reevaluate. It’s time we started making ourselves happy because that is the only way we can make others happy.
- Ain’t nothing new under the sun – All the problems that we think are new to us like the fail of chivalry or the lack of the real man are false. They’re fallacies that make it possible for women or men to accept less than what we should. Realize ain’t nothing new, we’re all just reinventing the same wheel our grandparents rolled.
- It’s not that serious – It’s perfectly normal to think that what happened last year was a life changing event, but in reality, it’s not. It’s never that serious, we’re all going to be okay.
- Don’t waste time – Life is too short to waste it with someone or something you really don’t want to be with.
- If it doesn’t work for you, it doesn’t work for you – Some of us would love to be with someone that does things we don’t like. Let me be the first to tell you, if it ain’t for you, don’t feel bad saying you feel that something else would work better for you.
- It’s way better to be single and unhappy, than in a relationship and unhappy – I know plenty of single people and I will tell you one thing, they’re all much happier than the rest of y’all that are in relationships that they don’t want to be in.
- By now, we can all agree gender dynamics aren’t going anywhere soon – I hate the fact that a man can do things that women can’t do. I’m also tired of trying to explain that it’s a messed up conundrum to both sexes, let’s just move on.
- Your ex still ain’t shit – HOLLA IF YOU HEAR ME! You broke up with them for a reason. Get there, they ain’t shit and you are the shit. Cue DJ Class.
- You can try something new, but you can also keep trying at what you think is right – Don’t quit and don’t give in to social norms. If you’ve come up with a great list of things that you think you need in your life don’t sacrifice that because you want a partner. You’ll be just fine sticking to your guns and what works for you.
These are my ten, I’m sure there are more. I don’t believe in New Year’s resolutions because I don’t think much can change in two days, but I do think that we can remember that as much as the year changes, a lot of other things don’t change. Cheers and party responsibly.
Note: I apologize to all those who think I am way too old or well versed to still being used “ain’t” but I’m on my worst behavior.