I wrote this list last year when I turned 28. They are prayers, well-wishes and spiritual directives. I’m sharing this with you because it’s my birthday week and I’m all about literally writing your own rules. Write your own rules, fulfill your own wishes…give birth to yourself every single day. If I had candles to blow out that would be my wish for you.
Did I accomplish everything on my list? Hell no, but I can honestly say…at 28 (and 361 days) if I died tomorrow, I would be proud of how I’ve lived. I think that’s something to be proud of…❤
PS: I had sex on the brain this time last year and my rules reflect that (sorry mom).
28 Rules for my 28 Years
1. Money is your boo. You take care of money and money takes care of you.
2. For most of your life you were allergic to chocolate. In this next chapter of your life, you’re allergic to bullshit. When you hear bullshit your ears close up. Eat more chocolate; swallow less bullshit.
3. Keep meditating.
4. Do hoodrat things with your friends. What you do does not define the truth of who you are.
5. Some say you are an introvert others say you are extroverted. In truth, you are both. Show up as either one and be unapologetic about it. Both attributes come bearing gifts.
6. Don’t even LEASE the cow if it can’t make you squirt. Yes, squirt. All utters must be in tact.
7. Learn to be thankful for everything.
8. Celebrate your successes.
9. Have compassion for your flaws.
10. Experiment with essential oils and self-massages.
11. Have fun several times a day!
12. Have more orgasms. Consider orgasms your new multi-vitamin.
13. Don’t be afraid to burn a bridge or two. Fire is transformational.
14. Play outside as often as possible.
15. Visit Bryant Park more. Especially in the fall. You love it there.
16. Get angry. It’s okay…you deserve to react to perceived injustice.
17. Remain in love with yourself. If you can, fall deeper in love everyday. Find new ways to show yourself you love yourself. Commit fully. You deserve nothing less.
18. Laugh when you hear something funny (even if it’s your own joke).
19. See your freedom as a gift. You won’t always be so unattached.
20. Remember the moment you realized your thesis was good? Write with that knowledge for the rest of your life. Your voice and your vision are manifestations of God.
21. Put some stamps in your passport, girl. Home will be here when you get back.
22. Savor delicious food and delicious men. Bon appetite!
23. Keep throwing impromptu dance parties in your room. Invite Nicki Minaj, Drake, Lady Gaga and Taylor Swift. Don’t judge yourself. They are fun.
24. Love everyone openly. Keep your heart in your hands. Offer it to strangers. It’s fine right where it is.
25. Don’t be afraid to change your mind. It’s called growth. Be proud of it.
26. Find the mirror in your heart and gaze at yourself often. All other reflective surfaces are bullshit. (see rule 2)
27. Live your spirituality aloud. The more you live and speak it, the clearer and easier it gets.
28. Never peak, never stop, and never settle. Be a butterfly–Transform.
1 more for good luck:
Have the best year of your life. Every year. For the rest of your life.
[And when that doesn’t work, use your imagination to create something better. ]
Originally posted by Patia Braithwaite at Men, Myself and God