This weekend BET announced that 106 & Park would be cancelled after this season. Shad Moss’s career is essentially over as a host and actor. Well, damn. Today I’m going to take a look at the shows and people over the years that BET either cancelled or lost. All I can say is, “It’s a damn shame what they did to that channel.”
1. Hits – They really got rid of this show and we never heard from Hits again. It probably would have helped if we knew his name and didn’t call him, Hits, like that’s his real name.
2. Rap City – Rap City kept kids off the streets. You knew you had to rush home to catch Rap City from the Bassment. Those freestyles were classics that will live in infamy forever.
3. Teen Summit – Keeping it real, this was one of the positive programs that BET had going and they cancelled it. Seems like they’d rather have Harlem Heights than a legit program that meant something.
4. Rosci and Julissa – Somebody had to bring it up.
5. 106 & Park – Nobody watches music videos anymore. It’s bad enough they never played an entire music video but now there’s just nothing.
6. Video Soul – Donnie Simpson man… I’m from DC so Donnie was a big part of my life growing up. Donnie Simpson on the radio in the morning, Video Soul was the show that created who he was.
7. Midnight Love – If you didn’t have a CD player or a mix on the boombox you could just put on BET and that was the perfect background music for talking on the phone or knocking boots.
8. College Hill – This was the Real World for Black people and they ruined it. I remember making it a point to watch this show. Again, seems like they’d rather have Harlem Heights than a legit program that meant something.
9. Comicview* – I put a star here because BET has actually brought this back but why did it ever go away? BET left us with Bad Boys of Comedy when they cancelled this show. I swear comedy was much bigger to us back in the day when we had Comicview.
10. Uncut – We needed Tip Drills. What else would you be watching at 3AM in the morning while procrastinating writing that paper due tomorrow?
We used to call each other anywhere between 2 and 3 AM when certain videos came on. Ahh the college life. I mean how can you be mad someone wakes you up to watch Tip Drill or What that thang smell like?
Joker tha Bailsbondsman, Greatest rapper to hail from Alaska…has to be brought up for GOAT consideration. lol.
You, Sir, are the MVP for the video.
I was mad about Hits too. Moo Psi Moo for life. He DID come back as a character actor on Punked though. It was pretty damn depressing that he could do that. Meaning not enough people recognized him, so he could be a valet/bus boy/whatever to keep the prank going. Smh.
Forgot all about him on Punked. smh
He was also in Glory Road…. he was pretty good too….
I’mma tell you like this here “She Ain’t Got No Panties On’ was the best and most rachet video Bet Uncut has ever aired!
Y’all remember Mighty Casey and Stagga Lee? lol
BET has been cursed ever since they cancelled Teen Summit…lol
I remember making it a point to be home after practice to catch the end of Rap City. “Big Tigger doing big things!!!!”
What that thang smell like by Black Jesus was like the anthem of 8th grade… and it was shot around the corner from my crib. Uncut raised me bro.
In Dallas, we called it “11 o’clock love”…’cause it came on at 11 o’clock.
I think Teen Summit was great and should most def be brought back but Uncut? That was straight porn!
I agree with the list only thing is 106 and park shouldn’t have gotten rid of Aj and Free. But everything else i agree with I miss the old days especially since recently I lost some of my loved ones passing away this year makes even my youth want to go back to the days of T.v maybe if i had rapped earlier been discovered back then maybe i could have saved Hip-Hop before the secret societies took over the game and television.I wonder be nice if there’s were more black channels out there to watch besides BET we got Bounce tv thank God.I wonder hell there’s MTV2 maybe there should be BET2 who knows
Rosci and Julissa???
Don’t you mean Free & AJ? They were the best and anchored at the height of 106&Parks glory days. I mean unless you were in elementary school back then and don’t remember.
Oh wait I just realized it’s Dr. J that posted this…it just clicked why you picked these two…silly me.
Thanks for this post. By the way, students can buy essays online written on different topics.
Ahh the Tip Drill video. Best.Rap.Video.Ever.
How have I never actually watched this video???? I am so traumatized
goes searching for some gospel music